Checklist: How to Reduce Sludge in A Septic Tank System
An onsite septic tank system, installed beneath the ground, helps to manage the household waste generated on a daily basis. In India, the septic tank system is beneficial in rural and urban areas where a connection to sewage treatment plants does not exist. However, it is important to know that these systems are expensive. Thus, regular maintenance is essential to prevent system failure. Septic tank sludge removal or reduction is the best way to keep up the optimal performance and prolong the life of septic systems.
Faecal Sludge Management
Inside septic tank systems, millions of microorganisms act on the incoming household waste and degrade it. The solid waste settles at the bottom of the tank and is known as sludge. The fats, grease, and oils along with wastewater rise to the top and form a layer called scum. The treated effluent between these layers is released into the drain field. However, sludge accumulates and builds up over time when sufficient beneficial microbial population is absent, leading to septic system malfunction. This is where fecal sludge management involving septic tank sludge removal or reduction is necessary.
Checklist to Reduce Sludge
Tiny but powerful microorganisms play a major role in the decomposition and treatment of household waste inside the septic tank. Anything that disturbs the function of microbes impacts septic tank performance and maximizes sludge build-up. Moreover, everything you dispose of into the septic tank affects the system. The following checklist of dos and don’ts will help you prolong the life of your septic tank system by reducing sludge.
- Determine the size of your septic tank system according to the number of people living at your house and how much waste is generated.
- Know the location of your septic tank and drain field so that inspections can be done at regular intervals.
- Flush down only toilet paper and human waste down the toilet.
- Follow water conservation practices by using waterless toilets or water-saving toilets.
- Minimize the number of times you flush your toilet.
- Repair and fix any leaking faucets, pipes, or toilets.
- Keep your drain field from flooding and grow grass to support evaporation.
- Avoid using chemical cleaning products such as bleach, disinfectants, and chlorine as it can eliminate microbial populations inside the septic tank system.
- Do not use chemical drain openers.
- Do not flush non-biodegradable, plastic items down the toilet.
- Avoid washing fruit and vegetable scraps, food items, or coffee grounds down the drain.
- Never allow paint, solvents, oil, insect killers, medicines to reach the septic system.
- Do not let too much water flood the septic system as it will disturb the natural balance.
- Do not drive or park vehicles over the drain field.
Why is Septic Tank Sludge Removal Necessary?
Septic tank sludge removal is necessary, else it will cause significant strain on the system. Moreover, without effective and efficient sludge removal or reduction solutions, you may experience blocked drains and toilets, drain field contamination due to overflow issues, and poor quality of effluent released into the environment. Mechanical means for septic tank sludge removal are expensive. Not everyone can afford it. This is the reason why you should take strong measures to reduce sludge build-up in your septic tank system. You can use natural biological additives or septic tank enzyme cleaners; which is a better, affordable, and environment-friendly solution for septic tank maintenance.
Organica Biotech has developed advanced solutions for optimal septic tank system performance. Bioclean Septic is made up of a special formulation of enzymes for efficient and effective septic tank treatment. It degrades waste, minimizes sludge build-up, and prevents odour and overflow issues. Bioclean Septic Plus is another powerful product from Organica Biotech that helps in septic tank sludge removal. It is capable of degrading fecal waste and food waste. In addition, it is effective against fats, oil, and grease. Organica Biotech septic tank maintenance products are cost-effective and easy to use as well. For more details about the products, contact us at any time.
Also Read: Improved Sanitation Leads To Healthier Environment !